Immigration details

What type of permit is required?

In most cases, the employee needs a work permit to work in Canada as a foreign national. A work permit is a legal document issued by the Canadian government that allows an employee to work temporarily in the country. There are limited situations where an employee may be exempt from obtaining a work permit. These exemptions include:

  • Work permit exemptions under international agreements: Some individuals, such as diplomats, military personnel, or certain government officials, may be exempt from requiring a work permit under international agreements to which Canada is a signatory.
  • Business visitors: If the employee is visiting Canada for business purposes, such as attending meetings, conferences, or engaging in international business activities, and not entering the Canadian labor market or being paid by a Canadian employer, the employee may be eligible to enter Canada as a business visitor without a work permit.
  • Foreign representatives and certain foreign workers: Foreign representatives, such as consular officers, and certain foreign workers, including emergency service providers, may be exempt from a work permit under specific circumstances.

Foreign nationals planning to temporarily live and work in Canada, will need a work permit

Generally, the employee will need to follow these steps:

  1. Determine the eligibility: Ensure the eligibility criteria are met for working in Canada, which may include having a valid job offer, meeting specific skill or educational requirements, and being able to demonstrate that the employee will leave Canada after the work permit expires.
  2. Obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), if required: In some cases, the employer may need to obtain an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to demonstrate that there are no available Canadian workers to fill the position.
  3. Apply for a work permit: Once the employee has a job offer and, if necessary, an approved LMIA, he can apply for a work permit. The application can be made online or through a paper-based process, depending on their situation.
  4. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): Depending on the country of citizenship, you may also need a TRV or eTA to enter Canada. This requirement applies to citizens of certain countries and is separate from the work permit.

At Deel, we completely understand that everyone's situation is unique. If you have any questions, our in-house Immigration team is always here to provide you with extra support and guidance.

Book a free consultation
map of Canada
visa icon
Supported visa types LMIA & GTS
hourglass icon
Processing time 3-5 mo.
currency icon
Currency CAD ($)
map marker icon
Capital Ottowa
globe icon
Languages English, French

Work permit types we support

This visa is for someone with advanced knowledge of the industry, an advanced degree in an area of specialization of interest to the employer, and/or minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of specialized experience.
  • Minimum yearly salary of $80,000 CAD
  • Job title, duties, and education on a case by case analysis
  • Minimum 5 years of work experience
Processing time
  • 2-4 months on average
Additional information
  • Validity of this visa is 2-3 years
  • Deel can sponsor this work permit under the Employer of Record (EOR) model

Frequently asked questions

Requirements vary between visa types, refer to our Immigration guide to find more information. 
The estimated timeline to get a work permit in Canada is 2-4 months.  
With the EOR model, Deel, as the employer, can sponsor and handle the visa application.
Once the application is submitted, If inside Canada, we can apply for authorization to work on their behalf.