Get Started with Independent Contractor Payments on Deel
Need help onboarding international talent?
- It takes minutes to set up and get ready for your first client payment on Deel. The signup process can start either through a client-led route, where a client invites you via email, or through a contractor-led route, where you sign up directly on the Deel platform.
- Creating an account on Deel involves selecting the contractor account type, filling out personal and contact information, determining contractor status (individual or entity), entering essential details like country of residence and date of birth, setting up two-factor authentication for security, and verifying identity with a photo ID.
- After setting up their account, contractors can receive client payments directly into their Deel account. They can select from various withdrawal options, such as bank transfers, Deel instant card transfers, and digital wallets like Coinbase, PayPal, and Wise.
By now, you're likely aware that Deel is one of the best payment methods for independent contractors in 2024, with many benefits, including faster payments, lower fees, and convenient perks like the Deel Card and Deel Advance.
But how can you get started and join the 150,000 contractors and freelancers already using Deel’s platform to work and get paid?
This article will walk you through the signup and onboarding process so you can get a sense of just how simple it is to get set up and receive contractor payments through Deel.
Let’s jump in!
1. Understand your sign-up routes (1 minute)
There are two routes to get set up as a contractor on Deel and receive client payments: the client-led route and the contractor-led route. They’re not all that different, but it’s helpful to understand them both, so you know your options.
If a client introduced you to Deel or is leading the contract creation process, they’ll likely send you an email invite to sign up to the Deel platform so that you can sign your written contract and get paid.
The contractor-led route
If you’re yet to source a client, your client isn’t yet familiar with Deel, or you plan to lead the contract creation process yourself, you can sign up to the Deel platform directly.
From here, you can create a contractor agreement, invite your client to sign up, view your payment options, and explore all the benefits and perks of the platform.
See also: How Contractors Can Introduce Clients to Deel for Streamlined Document Management [Coming soon]
2. Create an account (2 minutes)
Now you understand the different routes to getting started with Deel, the onboarding process is virtually the same. It always begins with creating an account.
- Sign up: From either the client email invite or the login link from the Deel website, you will have the option to sign up
- Choose account type: Select the I'm a contractor tab and click next
Fill out contact information: Fill in your personal information and click create your Deel account
- Determine contractor status: You will need to identify what kind of contractor you are (individual or entity). If you sign up as an entity, you must provide additional information
- Enter personal details: To complete the sign-up process, we need a few personal details for your profile, such as your country of residence and date of birth. Once you’ve completed this section, click complete profile.
- Set up two-factor authentication and a secondary email: We strongly recommend setting up your 2FA with an authenticator app. Authenticator apps are the most secure way to manage account access and prevent the risk of unauthorized users logging into your account. Adding an optional secondary (backup) email will also enhance account security and prevent lockouts
- Verify your account: Lastly, you will need to verify your identity in order to withdraw money from Deel. This is because Deel works directly with banks and a variety of popular payment providers, and we want to ensure your protection and reduce risk. We request that you take and submit a selfie and a photo of your government-issued ID
Alba Muñoz, Marketing Manager, working for a Dutch company while in Spain
3. Sign and create contracts (4 minutes)
Now that your account is verified, it’s time to either sign, create, or upload a contract on the Deel platform. This is an integral step in getting paid through Deel.
You can either:
- Sign a Deel contract created by your client
- Create a Deel contract yourself
- Upload an existing contract to the Deel platform (both you and the client have this option)
See also: How to Create A Contract as a Contractor on Deel
4. Choose your payment terms (2 minutes)
The terms of the contract will dictate how you receive payment, and these terms, along with your pay rate, are yours to negotiate independently with the client.
The Deel platform supports three contract types: Fixed, pay-as-you-go, and milestone:
- Fixed: With fixed contracts, you get paid in regular payment cycles (monthly, bi-monthly). The Deel platform generates invoices automatically based on your contract terms, and you can download the invoice preview before the due date on your contract page, as shown below:
- Pay as you go: With pay as you go contracts, you are paid at a variable rate depending on factors like 'hours worked' or 'tasks'. With this contract type, you cannot generate an invoice and be paid until you have submitted your hours for approval. Simply enter your hours worked and the date, add an optional description, attach any files and receipts, and click add submission.
See also: How to Make Independent Contractor Bookkeeping Easier with Deel.
- Milestone: With a milestone contract, you are paid a predetermined amount when you reach milestones along a project timeline. When you have completed a milestone, you can mark it as completed from your contracts page. Deel will generate an invoice and forward it to your client for approval.
If you opt for a fixed or pay as you go contract, you can adjust details such as expenses and overtime on your invoices. Invoice adjustments are unavailable for milestone contracts since they don't have invoice cycles.
Adjustments will be added to the invoice and must be approved by the client. Once approved, the adjustments are added to the current invoice cycle. Your client can choose to pay you out of cycle before the official payment due date.
You will see the funds in your account once the invoice payment has been processed.
See also: A Contractor’s Guide to Deel’s Flexible Payment Terms.
5. Select your withdrawal method (1 minute)
This is always the fun part. When you receive a client payment via Deel, your money, or ‘funds’ are deposited into your Deel account.
With Deel, you and your client can choose how to process payments. That means the two of you can have different payment and withdrawal methods.
For example, your client can pay with an international wire transfer, and you can choose how you want to withdraw your Deel balance (bank transfer, Deel instant card transfer, Coinbase, PayPal, Payoneer, Revolut, Wise) and in which currency.
You also have the option for these payments to automatically withdraw into your chosen bank account on a particular day.
See also: 7 Deel Withdrawal Methods for Contractors Beyond Wire Transfers.
The Deel platform offers many advantages to both contractors and clients looking to sign compliant work agreements and send and receive payments. Here is a quick overview of the advantages:
- Automated invoicing: Instantly generate digital invoices for every payment and seamlessly sync all your data with your favorite accounting tools
- On-time payments: Your payment can be processed automatically through direct deposit and arrives in your Deel account on the agreed date, accurately, and on time. No manual authorizations
- Deel card: With a Deel card, you can spend your earnings securely online or in-store and hold your balance in USD for more stability
- Lower fees: Deel always tries to optimize for a local payout, which minimizes the fees, making the payment process favorable for both parties.
- Deel advance: With Deel advance, get paid up to 30 days earlier without a credit check, interest rates, or applications
- Expert tax advice: Contractors must pay their own taxes. Our tax advice feature connects you with trusted local tax advisors who can explain your tax obligations and even file self-employment taxes for you with the relevant tax authority at the end of the tax year.
- 24/7 support: Deel’s customer support is available 24/7 in 13 languages and through multiple channels (live chat, email, WhatsApp) to answer your questions and resolve any issues you may experience on the platform in under 2 minutes
- Expense tracking: Deel’s expense tracker is your one-stop shop for managing work expenses. Upload receipts, categorize your expenses, and assign them to specific clients to track reimbursements
- Compliant recordkeeping: The Deel platform securely stores and tracks your work contracts, tax forms, and invoices in one place. For example, if you’re a non-US independent contractor working for a US-based company, you can fill out the IRS form W-8BEN on the Deel platform and store it there with your other information.
- Contractor perks: Contractors don't usually get access to the same benefits and perks as full-time employees. At Deel, we're changing that so everyone has the best experience possible. You can even get exclusive discounts on health insurance
- Community support: Connect with other contractors through Deel’s online community for contractors paid through our platform. Exchange experiences, get answers to your questions about the Deel platform, and even join in-person meetups organized by the Deel team
Sufian Babri, React Native developer, working for a Canadian company while in Pakistan
Get paid with Deel today
So that’s that! In just 10 minutes, you could be set up and ready to receive payment through Deel and unlock numerous contractor benefits and perks while keeping your clients happy. Over 150,000 contractors use Deel’s platform to work and get paid. No one else even comes close.
Sign up today and unlock the smoothest contractor experience on the planet.