Boosting Talent Acquisition with Location Flexibility
Need help onboarding international talent?
- Global skills shortages, increased global competition, and changing worker preferences put pressure on businesses to rethink their talent acquisition and retention approach.
- Location flexibility can help to improve talent retention, improve talent acquisition, and reduce overhead costs.
- Adopting a global human resources (HR) platform with built-in mobility and immigration support can significantly enhance the success of location flexibility initiatives within an enterprise.
In today’s competitive talent landscape, enterprise companies face numerous challenges when it comes to attracting and retaining top talent. Global skills shortages, increased global competition, and changing worker preferences are all putting pressure on businesses to rethink their approach to talent acquisition and retention.
One way that companies can address these challenges is by offering location flexibility to their employees. Location flexibility gives employees the freedom to work from anywhere in the world, supporting work-life balance and leading to happier and more productive employees likely to stay with the company longer.
See also: How Workplace Mobility Is Redefining the Employee Experience
Let’s explore the benefits of location flexibility for enterprise businesses in more detail.
What are the benefits of location flexibility for enterprise businesses?
One of the benefits of offering location flexibility to employees is that it can help to improve employee retention. The pandemic changed how people think about work, causing many to prioritize well-being and work-life balance. This change led to the great resignation, whereby many workers quit their jobs in pursuit of employment that allowed greater control over their time and work and would not be as stressful as their previous jobs.
35% of employees who left their jobs during the pandemic said they were looking for a new job that offered more flexibility, according to Qualtrics research. And 81% of employees said they would be more loyal to their employers if they had flexible work options, according to a 2020 survey by FlexJobs. This is because location flexibility gives employees more control over their work, which can lead to increased satisfaction, motivation, and employee engagement.
Location flexibility can also support personal career development, giving current employees the incentive to explore different facets of an organization and experience working with new market sectors or divisions within the company.
Finally, a business with location flexibility enables employees to continue working even if the main office is closed due to a natural disaster or other disruptive event. This flexibility can help to protect the business’s resilience and ensure that it can continue to operate even during difficult times.
Carmen Fan, Head of Marketing, Floship
Location flexibility is also one of the most effective talent acquisition strategies, helping hiring managers attract potential candidates. A study by the UK government found that job adverts offering flexible working attracted 30% more applicants. In addition, 51% of job seekers would forgo higher salaries for more flexibility.
Location flexibility also empowers businesses to attract talented job seekers from a global talent pool. Companies gain a competitive edge in the global labor market by building an employer brand that makes it clear that the company is open to remote workers and provides flexible work options.
Offering location flexibility can also help businesses reduce the overhead costs of accommodating on-site workers. Companies can save on rent, utilities, and office supplies. Additionally, businesses can save on travel expenses by allowing employees to attend meetings and conferences virtually.
Discover more flexible work arrangements and what their benefits are.
What are the challenges of location flexibility for enterprise businesses?
Of course, there are also some challenges associated with offering location flexibility. For example, companies must ensure employees have the right tools and resources to be productive when working remotely. They must also ensure that their communication and collaboration systems are up to the task.
See also: 17 Top Remote Work Tools & Software for a Productive Team
Free resource: A Guide to Creating the Ideal HR Tech Stack
How to implement location flexibility in enterprise organizations
There are several steps that enterprise organizations can take to implement location flexibility. These steps include the following:
Step 1: Build internal infrastructure: Businesses need to adopt best practices to ensure they can continue functioning effectively with geographically distributed workers. This includes embracing asynchronous working, investing in digital communication and collaboration tools, and setting clear performance metrics. Learn more with our ultimate guide to remote teams.
Step 2: Embrace a flexible workplace culture: Location flexibility will only be effective if the company embodies, promotes, and supports a flexible work environment. Management must lead by example and create a company culture where employees feel comfortable and encouraged to work from anywhere.
Step 3: Create supporting policies and guidelines: Employees need clear, flexible work policies and guidelines that outline the expectations for remote workers. This includes things like hours of work, communication expectations, and how to handle travel logistics and expenses.
- The HR Bundle - Your one-stop shop for building a successful global HR department
- A Guide to Relocating Employees
- Employee Relocation Policy Template
Adopt a global HR platform with built-in mobility and immigration Support
A global HR platform with built-in mobility and immigration support can significantly enhance the success of location flexibility initiatives within an enterprise. Here are some of the benefits of using a global HR platform:
- Streamlined HR processes: A global HR platform centralizes various HR functions, such as the onboarding process, document collection, mandatory benefits and perks administration, and global payroll, making it easier to manage employee data, policies, and processes across different locations. This streamlines administrative tasks related to remote work arrangements, ensuring that employees and HR teams can focus on strategic initiatives.
- Visa and immigration support: With built-in mobility and immigration support, employees that want to travel or relocate can use the platform to access information on visa requirements and eligibility, submit requests for EOR visa sponsorship application support, and track the progress of their application. This empowers employees to take ownership of their relocation or remote work arrangements.
Alba Muñoz, Deel user, Source: Deel Stories
- Compliance and legal considerations: Different locations often have varying labor laws, tax regulations, and employment rules. A global HR platform can help ensure that remote and relocated employees remain compliant with these regulations, mitigating legal risks for the organization.
Luka Besling, HR Manager, Revolut
- Visibility and reporting: A comprehensive HR platform offers real-time visibility into the workforce, including remote and international employees. This data is invaluable for making informed decisions, managing resources effectively, and evaluating the success of location flexibility initiatives.
Discover how Zip Co champions worker mobility, successfully relocating employees to Israel, France, Mexico, Thailand, and Cyprus, all in record time.
Being able to view the status of each employee on the Deel dashboard and quickly address any outstanding action items makes Zip Co’s work quicker and easier.
Emma Leipold, Senior Global Mobility and Total Rewards Partner, Zip Co
Support location flexibility with Deel
Location flexibility is a powerful tool that can help enterprise organizations attract and retain top talent, improve productivity, and reduce costs. By implementing location flexibility effectively, businesses can create a more agile and competitive workforce better equipped to succeed in the global economy.
Deel’s global HR platform with built-in mobility and immigration support offers a comprehensive solution to manage the complexities of location flexibility. It simplifies administrative tasks, ensures compliance, and empowers HR teams to manage a geographically dispersed workforce effectively. This technology becomes a strategic enabler for enterprises seeking to embrace flexible work models successfully.
Sound like the ideal solution? Book 30 minutes with a product expert to get your questions answered.